Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Angels

I have had an overwhelming feeling lately that Lori wants her pictures and journals somewhere that all can see and she won't be forgotten.  I decided to get her journals from the cedar chest at my Dad's house.  When I open the cedar chest, it is painful and sad seeing her few earthly possessions mixed among Mom's meager belongings.  I always close it quickly because it hurts too much. 

At Thanksgiving, however, I brought home a small box of Lori's journals.  She wrote every night.  I should know, because we shared a room, and she would always leave the light on as she wrote.  I would get so mad at her because I wanted to go to sleep! 

I started reading May of 1987.  Her last entry was May 7.  She passed away on May 11.  I have read 3 journals  so far.  I have stepped back in time and re-lived many sad times, but the happy times out number the sad.   Lori was and is an amazing woman.  I can't wait to see her again and get reacquainted.  I don't think we will skip a beat.  I think our relationship will be just as it was, but better. 

With the help of my sisters and sister in laws we are going to make Lori a blog of her own.  We will scan all her photographs and I am going to re-type her life story from her journals.  It's going to be so great.  I hope to get this done by her birthday on April 2. 

I wanted to share some pages and pictures from Lori's journal of her last Christmas 1986.  Also, some other entries that I hope will bring you to "remember" the good ole days.

Thursday   December 25

Hi!
It's Christmas!  We had a really nice Christmas.  We all got up about 5:00 and went and got our Christmas!
I got a crock pot, crystal glasses, towel set and rug, a mickey mouse Ricks College shirt, d.k. blue sweat pants, Ricks college scarf and gloves.  I got the blue and pink plaid quilt!
From Grandma & Grandpa I got a pair of black pants and a blue blouse and sweater vest!  From Tobe, I got a sheet set!  I'm real excited!
As a family we got a new TV and VCR!  We also got 2 little black puppies.  they are so cute!  We call them Wilma & Betty.

Lori and Mom made quilts for all of us that year.  Lori was getting ready to go back to Ricks college for the 2nd semester.  She didn't go the Fall semester because she was too sick.   A lot of her journal entries tell of her taking naps and DaNae would come and crawl in bed with her and they would take naps together.
She was always making cookies and figuring out who to like from the many many guys in her life.  She loved getting mail from her missionaries...Kayle, Wade, Sam, J.C. David, Mark, Kent the list goes on and on.  She also bought many cards and wrote all the people in her life a birthday card or a Christmas card.  She loved cards!
I love this picture.  Probably because I think it is the last picture taken of the 2 of us.  Lori is wearing her wig, and looks so cute in her stuff.  I got a new ski suit!

I love this picture because you can see the roses she gave Mom and Dad.  Also Mom made the dolls the girls are holding.
Not sure what Lance is wearing...a blue leisure suit?




Here is another Christmas entry:

Wednesday December 25 1985

Hi!
Today was Christmas and it was a really nice Christmas too!
Justin and Lance got us up at 5:00, I got a gorgeous pink and gray long coat with matching moon boots!  Natalie gave me some gray gloves too!  I also got a really cute Levi dress and some lavender shoes and a new hymn book with my name engraved.  I am going to make my powder jacket.  I got some nail polish and chap stick.  Bethia gave me a bumper sticker that says "Are we having fun yet?" and some earrings and a necklace and stationary.  I also got a bra and nylons.  At Grandma's she gave me a darling bathrobe.  I am really excited!  I wrote everybody that gave me a card or letter today. 

Wednesday December 17, 1985

Hi!
Today I got pretty much what I wanted to done.  I got up and got in the tub and washed my hair and then organized my pills, and ate breakfast.  I did the dishes and got the kitchen looking respectable.  Then I cleaned up my room really good.  I changed the sheets and everything.  Then I did the make-up bags and wrapped them up.  Then I made out some more Christmas cards and wrote Sam a letter.  Tonight we went to Shalean's program.  After that we came home and watched TV.  Just now we had someone drop a box off on our doorstep.  It had a turkey and something for the kids.

Monday December 22, 1985

Hi!
Today has been a good day.  I got up and ate and got dressed and did the dishes.  Then I got ready and went to the dentist.  It didn't take too long so I went to Only Roses and got Mom and Dad 12 roses for Christmas.  I have to pick them up Wednesday.  Then I went to Clothes Direct and got 6 pairs of earrings.  Then I headed home and got the mail, I got a Christmas cards from Sandy Brunt and Kent Abbott.  It was good to hear from them.
I have been belping mom make her candy trains and I made supper and then we wrapped presents for the Haroldsen's and took it to them.  It was pretty fun.



This picture is Christmas 1976.  Mom made those dolls for Lori and I.  We also got new dresses and suit cases.  Looks like I got a Willie Wanka record!

Oh the memories. 
Since it is 3 years ago that Mom joined Lori, I wanted to express my feelings and thoughts to her.

Dear Mom,
Has it really been 3 years?  It seems like a long time whatever it is.  I miss you so much.  The other day I was day dreaming and  I saw your hands in my mind.  I saw them so vividly.  Those hands that cradled 9 babies and made endless meals and changed endless diapers.  Your hands that dried tears, did hair, gave hugs and sewed Easter dresses.  I hope that my hands can be as accurate and tender as yours.
 I always say, "I don't know how my mother did it."  but you did, and you did it well.  You made Christmas magical.  I loved making numerous Christmas "T rings" with you.  You supported all 9 children with whatever it was we did.
I am working on Lori's life history and then want to start on yours.  Please help me, and give me the inspiration and direction to do it. 
I miss calling you and sharing special news and bragging about the kids.  Dad is so good to put up with my annoying phone calls.  The kids are growing so much.  Caden and Hailey each grew 4 inches this year.  Chloe is growing out of all her clothes too.  Coelton has become a fine young man and just received his mission call.  He's going to Puerto Rico.  I know you must be so proud of him as I am.   Doesn't it seem like yesterday that we brought him home from the hospital and I kept giving him to you, because I didn't know what to do.  You gave him his first bath and pretty much took care of him for those first few days.  Joel misses you too and talks about you frequently.  He is the love of my life. 
I am so thankful for what you have taught me and the example you are to me.  You didn't have a lot of money or earthly possessions, but you gave us what money can't buy.   That is the most valuable of all gifts and one that I hope to give to my own family.  Thank you.

Merry Christmas Mom,

All my love,
Natalie

1 comment:

Shalean said...

I love this! Can't wait to be able to have a blog for Lori and get to know her again!

I'm still laughing at Lance's blue leisure suit!! Thanks for the memories!