Sunday, December 19, 2010

Called to Serve Him!



I never thought this day would come.  I am watching my boy open a big white envelope addressed from the Office of the First Presidency.  As I watch him nervously open the long envelope his hands are shaking.  He pulls out the paper on top and tries to make a joke as he gets his emotions under control.  I am trying to steady the camera and take some amazing photographs of this once in a lifetime event!  I hear him say, "Dear Elder Hammer:

You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  You are assigned to labor in the Puerto Rico San Juan Mission.  It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 24 months."

The tears flowed and I couldn't believe that my son had just received this amazing call from the Lord.  The rest of his words were drowned out by my thoughts of him as a baby, little boy and teenager.  We had talked about and pondered this day for many years.   He is now a man...a worthy young man who will be serving the Lord for 2 years, learning the Spanish language and helping the people in a far away island in the middle of the Caribbean sea...to come unto Christ.

I willingly will give my son to the Lord for 2 years.  I know that through Coelton's labor of love, the Lord will bless him with more happiness than he has ever experienced.  He will be protected and certain angels will help him be safe and cared for.  (I have contacts). 






4 comments:

LaFam said...

Congratulations Coelton! You will be a great missionary. I can't believe you are that old, it seems like yesterday we sisters were fighting over who got to hold you, and watching you learn to walk, and talking to you when you were young, always remember, wuzzy, and duuucks. I doubt you remember any of that, but I am very proud of you and your worthiness to serve a mission. And Natalie and Joel, good job on being truly excellent parents, love ya!

Ashley Wray said...

So exciting! Tell Coelton congrats, we will see you all in just a few weeks!

DaNae said...

I may or may not have bawled all over my computer reading this and watching the video of him opening his call. How in the crap did you hold it together?!

LOL about you having contacts. I'd say we have Heaven pretty much on our speed dial by now. ;)

Congrats, Coelton. I'm so so proud of you! You will be amazing, but guess what.... no swimming, sucka!!

Shalean said...

Wow! That was awesome! I have chills all up and down my arms. You truly had your pay off day watching your son open a mission call! What a great time of year to have a call come! Merry Christmas!!!!