Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Movin Pipe

For years we have heard the pipe moving stories, of a young boy in Shelley Idaho who had to get up at 4am and move 15 lines of pipe, with 25 pipe in each line!  TWICE a day.  He moved pipe with his older brothers and they made him RUN to every pipe.

Finally this young boy; now a grown 41 year old man, could show his son how to move pipe.


There is a field by our garden that is always empty, but this year a farmer rented the land and planted wheat.   The farmer had a couple lines of pipe that he moved, but got sick of it, so our friends who live across from the field started moving it.  Ryan is Caden's age and his Dad helped him.  They had to go out of town and asked Caden to move it for them with Joel.  Caden went a few times to learn how. 



Joel got back into town Friday evening and he put his irrigating boots on and we headed for the field.  I had to tag along for the photo op.  Joel was so excited.  Of course an hour of pipe moving turned into 2, due to some pip movie "problems".  It's a complicated operation. 



I loved seeing these two working together, doing what Joel used to do as a kid. 


There was a canal near by, so I went and sat on the bridge and dunked my feet in .  I turned around to see the girls staring at me.  I told them to come over and sit by me.  They said, "but mom, canals are dangerous, every year hundreds of children drown in canals."  Wow, they had just repeated a commercial that they air during the summer on the TV.  Poor kids can't have any fun anymore.  I assured them it was fine, so they cautiously came over to sit. 


2 comments:

Shalean said...

The good ole days of farm livin! I keep telling Rick there is an awesome canal just down the street that we could swim in and nobody would see us:) He still won't let me take the girls! Whatever happened to the simple life?

Judy Sledheads said...

Wow, looks like you are way out in the country! That is awesome, I love when our kids get a taste of the life we had back in the day!!!