Thursday, July 8, 2010

Finally Boating!!

It has been a very chilly summer so far.  We haven't been able to take out our boat until July 6!  Our boat is now 19 years old.  We have had 9 fun filled seasons with it.  Talk about wholesome recreational activties...this is our favorite! 

I remember when I was young and my Grandpa Judy would let us take his boat to black tail.  We all learned how to water ski and had so many happy times on the boat.  I remember sitting on the bough of the boat with my feet dangling in the water, my Dad would go fast and the boat would raise up...I thought Iwas on top of the world!

When the opportunity came to buy the boat from our bishop,when we lived in Columbia Village,  I was so thrilled.  We had been boating with his family many times in the boat and knew they really wanted to "up grade".  We would tell them to let us know when they were ready to sell it.  Joel wasn't sure he wanted it, he didn't grow up with a boat and was a little worried of the cost and up keep.  We made the plunge and have never looked back.  Joel does a great job in taking care of it and knows how to winterize it etc.  The gages don't work, so we never know how fast we are going or how much gas there is, and it's interior is showing it's age, it's not very fancy or powerful, but we sure love our boat and the time we spend together as a family.

The kids have learned how to tube, waterski, slolom and wake board.  Chloe will learn to ski this year and Hailey has now graduated to the big skis and can cross the wake.  We have been able to take the boat to some beautiful lakes, reservoirs and rivers. 


It was pretty cold.  I think in the 70's.  The kids didn't want to get in the water.  Finally Joel said he would give $5 to who ever got in first.  Chloe marched to the end of the boat and jumped in.  She came out crying because it was so cold.  She got the $5.


Coelton was the next brave one.  He realizes that this is his last boat season for the next 2 years.  He will probably be on his mission by April.

He has grown so much he had to wear my wet suit and life jacket.  And of course, won't give me a good picture.


Hailey was next to be brave and get in the freezing water.


Then Caden remembered how to get up on one ski.


I was content to sit and soak it up.

3 comments:

Shalean said...

Love your boat! Can't wait to show you a few of my moves;)

Judy Sledheads said...

The weather hasn't been great for boating! We have been out about 4 times, twice was for mutual. Rhett took the priests and it was beautiful when they left, but a huge thunderstorm hit and they didn't get any skiing in, so he took them again the next Tuesday night. We were hoping to go tonight, but the wind is supposed to pick up this afternoon to 25-30 miles an hour. GRRRRRR!

DaNae said...

No fair! I want to come boating!! I like how you were just soakin' up the rays, man. Like, bring me the head of a pig. Macey has that same cover up as Chloe. I love it! Cute cute pics!