Saturday, April 3, 2010

Granny Robertson



My grandma Robertson, whom loves to be called "Granny", has had heart problems and has had another attack.  She was in the hospital for a little while and then came home.  Her heart is only functioning at 30%.  She needs gall bladder surgery and can't have it because her heart is so weak. 
I decided really fast, to drive to eastern Idaho and visit her.  The girls came with me and Joel and the boys stayed.  Coelton and Caden had obligations they had to take care of and Joel needed to stay and chase off any girls that may find there way to the house: ) 

We drove over Saturday night and stayed at the Weston's house in Pocatello.  We love the nice bed and warm hospitality! 
Sunday morning we drove to Granny's house and I was a bit taken back when I first saw her.  She looked so much like Mom.  She as wearing the maroon velour sweat suit and had the oxygen in her nose.  Her eyes were sunk in and she had that distant look.  I had to swollow really hard to fight the tears.

We had a wonderful visit that lasted about 3 hours.  Diana, my mom's only sister was there.  It was nice to visit with her too.  Grandma asked if I would rub her feet so I did and then her hands were cold so she wanted me to do those next. 

I loved being in Grandma's house again.  It had changed some but was still the same too.  I took a few pictures of some sights that bring back lots of memories.  I took the girls out to see the ponies.  Snip and snap are long gone, I don't even know the new ponies names.  As I walked to the barn I remember following Grandpa there many times.  He work his big black boots and carried the milker.  He would let me put the electric milker on the cow.  I remember how loud the milker was.  I was always glad when he was done and turned it off. 

I went to the basement and saw the little roll top desk.  So many memories with that desk.  I showed the girls how we used to "dress up" and took them to the scary parts of the basement.  I still get a little scared walking around down there. 

Funny how everything seemed so small.  I blame Grandma for getting me addicted to ice cream.  My favorite was when she made hot fudge topping.  I swear, every visit to Grandma's was treated with Farr's ice cream.  We used to play "Granny's Restaurant".  She would sing some song she made up about the restaurant and we would place our orders and pay her with checks from an old checkbook she let us play with.

Grandma told us about the statue of her father, Joseph Elmer Williams.  She is so proud of this statue!  It is really neat and the details were interesting to hear about.

Grandma is full of spunk and has a great personalitiy.  I really enjoyed our visit and am glad I went.


The paved trail out to the milk barn.

I would look through the hole in the gate at the cows.  They scared me.

The stairs to the basement.  I can hear the sound echo as you walk on them. Clunk, clunk, clunk.

Grandma LOVED these candy bars.  She was obsessed with them!  I don't like marshmellows in stuff, so I don't like these.  When I went to be a cast member in the Hill Cumorah Pageant after my senior year, Grandma came running into the airport and gave me a CASE of these candy bars.  She told me to pass them out to all the folks in the pageant.  I was so embarassed, and now had to haul around a CASE of candy bars with me.  When I flew into Chicago Ohare airport I was very late for our next flight.  I was alone, in the biggest airport in America AND it was my first time flying!  I forgot about the candybars under my seat.  I made it to my next flight and they were getting ready to take off when a stuardess holds up the CASE of candybars and says does this belong to anyone on this flight?  I wanted to crawl under my seat.  She says..."it seems to be some Idaho Spud Bars".  I sunk into my seat and turned beat red, as I heard everyone laughing.  I'm sure the bomb squad had to come and get the box off the last plane.  I never did claim the box, and to this day feel a little bad about that.  But I'm sure the good folks of Chicago had a nice candy bar from Idaho!  Compliments of Grandma Robertson.

No comments: