Thursday, December 18, 2008

My Mother


Today is one year that my mom has been gone. She passed away just after midnight, so it was December 18th.
For beautiful thoughts and stories see my sisters blogs.

I remember last year when my sisters and I went shopping for a couple of hours. We had not been out of my parents house for a few days. We were taking care of my mom, when our brother came over and told us that we needed to get out and do something.
We found ourselves stumbling through the mall. We couldn't shop, we were too drained, so we ended up sitting in the mall and just watched people.
It was like slow motion. I wanted to stand up and shout, "don't you people know that my mom is dying right now, don't you know that what you are doing is not even important. Go home and give your loved ones a hug, give them your time...it's better than anything you have stuffed in those sacks."

We made our way back to my parents house that evening. We knew that my mom would "meet Jesus tonight" as the song Christmas Shoes says. The doorbell rang and when we answered it we saw dozens of faces singing the most beautiful Silent Night I have ever heard. My sisters and Dad all stood in the doorway with our arms around each other as we cried and listened..."Sleep in heavenly peace...sleep in heavenly peace." I knew that it wouldn't be long, my Mothers valiant and courageous battle would soon be over. The pain would stop. I went back to my mom's room and told her about the magical carolers that had just come.

Mom was in a very deep sleep. I not only think she heard me, but I think she heard the carolers too. Mom wasn't able to speak much during her last few days. But the tears in her eyes said it all.

I know that Mom is busy preparing the way for us. I feel our guardian angels among us and know they are looking out for us. I miss them very much and at times literally ache for them. But I know that it is all okay. It is so special to me that my mom passed away 1 week before christmas and because of Him, who's birth we celebrate at Christmas, I can see my mom again, if I do my part, and our relationship will grow, and grow forever.

I asked my family to write memories of my mom on pieces of paper and place in a bowl on the end table in our living room. The bowl is now full and I want to write down what was written:
Her fun sense of humor
School Buses
Her Laugh
Mocha Freeze lipstick
When she broke her arm
Her Witch Cackle
She didn't want Grandpa to ride horses...she worried he would get hurt.
All the presents she used to give us.
She would read every sign.
"You are going to freeze into a popsicle...what flavor do you want to be; grape or cherry?"
Sewing, sewing, sewing. Quilts, dolls, dresses...
"See ya later Aligator!"
Always stood up for what she believed to be right.
The ability to spend hours in one store.
She used to read me princess stories
Hailey remembers going to a million stores looking for a latch hook!
The winnie the pooh joke. (my boys will never forget that one)
Always taking care of everyone else...even when she was sick.
The cake walk
Making Macey laugh
Making Christmas Tea rings
Lipstick kisses
Funny eyebrows
hugs as soon as you came through the door
Love for her country, constitution and political views.
singing and playing the piano
physically strong
Frog eye salad

Miss you Mom!

6 comments:

LaFam said...

It's amazing what comes back to you this time of year, things that I had forgotten. You are an extraordinary person and an awesome sister! You are always someone you can rely on, you are a rock! Love ya sis!

Heather

Kim said...

Natalie, you are a strong woman. I admire that in you. I'm also impressed with the peace you have developed over this past year. Thank you for sharing your testimony of the Savior. Your mom is proud of you.
Kim

DaNae said...

What a sweet post! I love hearing the older kids memories of her. Now I need to hear the Winnie the Pooh joke, though. :)

Poulsonpack said...

Natalie...I got your Christmas card today and so I looked up your blog. So sad to hear about your Mom. I just remember her being fun!! I loved reading your blog and hearing all the fun things about your Mom. I miss you and wish our crazy lives allowed more time for friend chats. Love ya and hope your Christmas is a happy one!!
Amy Poulson
fyi: I am trying to blog as well. I will send an invite to your email so you can look at mine also.

Poulsonpack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shalean said...

Those memories feel like they just happened yesterday. Its been a year to never forget! I really need to hear the winnie the pooh joke too. I think I can guess what it is though:)