Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Change


After 3 years and several days I was released as the primary president. It is sad to be leaving primary and not being able to see the kids each week. I really love serving with a presidency and getting to know others. You get pretty close to presidencies. I have made primary part of my life and it will be hard to not have that anymore. I shed lots of tears, but really feel good about the new presidency and I feel like it is time to move on.
When I was first called there was about 200 children in primary. After 3 months our ward split and I lost one of my counselors (who became the primary president of the new ward). Nine months later I lost my secretary when she moved and then about a year after that I lost my first counselor when she was called into Young Womens. So there was lots of change and I got to know several fabulous ladies, and gained new friendships.
I will always remember the countless meetings, quarterly activities (that were a lot of work.) My favorites were the Olympics, pioneer days, water fights, program practices with pizza and popcorn and a magic show, flying to 3 different countries to see how children of God live in other areas of the world and Halloween carnivals.
I will be relieved to not have to prepare anymore sharing times. Strange to say I probably did 40 or more of those. I learned a lot and my testimony has grown through those lessons. We teach the children but really it is the children that taught me.

Most of all I will miss the primary songs. I will miss singing time each week. My favorite primary song is a new one we learned this year called "If the Savior stood beside me."

If the Savior stood beside me, would I do the things I do?
would I think of His commandments and try harder to be true?
would I follow His example? Would I live more righteously
if I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

2 comments:

Shalean said...

I bet you were an awesome primary president! You gave your all! You are a great example to me. Hopefully you can get an easy calling now and relax for a little while:)

DaNae said...

Oh my gosh... I got teary eyed just reading your post! What a hard thing to go through during the holidays. I'm so sorry! But man, you deserve a break before they call you to be Relief Society President! Haha.

That's also my favorite song we learned this year. I haven't been able to sing it through once because I choke up. It is such a pretty song, and to hear the little primary kids sing it so reverently is just amazing!